Thursday, December 22, 2011

Limes

A few hours ago I went to Milka's to buy groceries and on my list were limes. Well, there were no limes today. Tomorrow, after the ferry comes there will be limes. I cannot understand this. Limes grow everywhere on this island.
Things never change, I guess.
Usually, when I go to Zehrs or Sobey or other, looking for fresh produce all I find is imported. Even when it is stawberry season in Waterloo Region, the strawberries are imported. Exactly why I go to Herrlie's.

Ok, I left Milka's without limes (these are the lovely yellow limes - like Key Lime). A few metres later I stopped at the Marine Supply Store and had a chat with Lourdes (sp?) and asked her if any of the trees I could see were lime. She said no, but called her husband and told me to wait. Within ten minutes he came with a full pail of limes. She told me to take what I wanted. I was not too greedy and only took about 20. She does not sell them, but gives to others who do not have lime trees.

I am happy. These limes are sort of sour and sweet and are great squeezed in a glass of water, but even better is water, lime, and a few shakes of Don Q Cristal Rum. No more rum and coke for me as long as I can get these limes.

Hope you have had a good day with last minute preparations for Christmas.


No comments:

Post a Comment