Monday, December 12, 2011

Breakfast


We ate breakfast both mornings at this lovely little truly Puerto Rican cafe. Ali has eaten his breakfast here everyday for about two years! One waiter has been working here for fifty-two years.

It was charming, but let me tell you that first I had to wake up, wash, dress, get down those 50 or 60 stairs, walk a few blocks and THEN get my cup of coffee. Was it worth it? You bet it was. There special is something called a Mallorca. It is ham and cheese between bread, sort of. The bread is warm and it is something of a cross between bread and a croissant and it is dusted with powdered sugar. Sounds strange, doesn't it, but it is delicious, especially with a freshly brewed cup of Puerto Rican coffee with hot milk.

After breakfast we set off to another cafe where Ali did more work on my laptop. I forgot to tell you that yesterday he started cleaning up all the stuff on there that I didn't need. He called it maintenance, something I don't do. He also added some 2000 songs to my Itunes - yippee.

Again, Ali was just stellar. I waited at the cafe while he walked home, got his car, brought my bags downstairs, picked me up at the cafe, and then drove me to the little airport for my flight to Culebra at 1:00 pm. What can I say except this man in special. He made my time in Old San Juan unforgettable. A time that will always be magical to me.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Gail, you are such a charmer! :-) It was wonderful having you and sharing those lovely and enlightening conversations with you. I am glad that you were able to enjoy San Juan at its best since you brought the good weather, the cool of night and the warmth of day. I am talking to management to put that well-wished elevator but they are a bit slow. They all tell me, "we'll do it maƱana!" I look forward to seeing you on that wee island. Thank you for your very generous comments and thank You for sharing of your time and thoughts with me. Be well and enjoy that lovely house in Culebra. Safe me a glass of wine!

    ReplyDelete