Friday, December 23, 2011

4:00 a.m.

A Christmas Tradition in Culebra.

Around 4 in the morning the sounds start. First there is the clanging of the bell, then the roosters start to crow, and finally the music. A truck makes its way around the island playing an assortment of Christmas music. Tonight I woke to O Holy Night and it was beautiful. The music is not too loud, just right. Every so often the clanging of the bell starts again. I suppose this is just to make sure you didn't go back to sleep! This continues for about an hour. I must find out more about the tradition of the music truck. Do they have a volunteer list of drivers? How many nights does this go on? Will it ever come right up to my house so I can get a photo?

It is now almost 5 a.m. and I don't hear the bell or the music coming my way. Perhaps a few hours of sleep are still going to be possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment