Sunday, December 25, 2011

Christmas Eve






Remember, click to enlarge any photo.
Wishing you all a joyous Christmas Day.

Last evening Annie and Tommy took me to church for the Christmas eve mass. I wanted to go because I knew this would be an authentic celebration. WOW it was incredible. Yes, it's me Gail saying that a mass was incredible. What I was a part of last night could even make me a church goer again. I will try to be brief. The photos are not good, but all I have and are above and also the next post.

Annie is the one who does the readings. She was all decked out in red. Unfortunately she had to go home right after the mass because she was not feeling well.

Upon arriving it was lovely to see a nativity scene outside and all lit up. Very soon a group of young people gathered by the door. They were the actors and actresses Mary, Joseph etc.. It was wonderful because they were a part of the whole service in one way or another.

The priest, a young fellow, was great. Although he spoke in Spanish, he added enough English to make it easier to follow.

The congregation, about 100, perhaps 20 guests, were attentive and with all songs they clapped to the rhythm.

Aside from the basics of the mass, there were a few intimate differences. After the mass was said, the priest welcomed visitors and asked where we were from. There was a gift for all the children (small package of mixed candies) and they went up to the priest to receive it. There were prayers for the sick and they were named. The children put on a small skit. At the end all the kids were up front singing Feliz Navidad and then burst into English with I Want to Wish You a Merry Christmas. The finale brought tears to my eyes.

After the service we went outside where a buffet table of food was laid out and on the other side a guitar player and conga drum player started the music. A wonderful time was had by all, mostly me.

As Tommy was driving me home we took the long way (two blocks) down by the ferry dock and I got a few shots of the Christmas lights. As we were driving by the cafes and bars with the tourists, I couldn't help but think how much more fortunate I was to have been part of the church service rather than out there listening to the latest tunes and drinking rum punch.

No comments:

Post a Comment