Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Rumours

Remember I told you there was only one gas station with one _um_ on the island and that the other one has been closed for years.

Ever since I wrote those words there has been a beehive of action out front of my room just to the right. Yes, right on the canal behind Susie's and almost in front of me is where the old Gulf Station is. In the last two weeks it has been _ainted in new colours, not Gulf's red and blue. For the last few days several men have been working full time doing whatever it is they are doing with a line that runs u_ to Annie's driveway???? At this very moment they are all having a beer break, including the boss. Canada, it isn't.

From what the fellow who was _ainting told me, the owners from a sister island, Viesques, are indeed going to o_en in the next week or two. Yes, I know I wrote about the mayor owning the other station etc. That mayor died in December, so maybe the new mayor doesn't share the same views. I don't know and will not ask because I sure don't want to get mixed u_ in island _olitics. It is amazing to me that a small island with about 1500 and only 800 registered voters can be so divisive. Then again, the smaller the more at stake.

Anyway, my small quiet little s_ace has changed a lot in the last six weeks. All of my neighbours have been lovely, es_ecially Jeanna and Ron. Now when the gas station o_ens there will be tons of cars as well as boaters. All I have to do is look the other way and ignore them all, but I think I am ready for a little more action.

Let's see how long it takes for ins_ections and o_ening day.

OMG five weeks from this coming Saturday I fly home. Time does fly when you are doing nothing. Is that because it is fun or does it have anything to do with getting older. Youngsters think that a two month summer break is an eternity. Seniors think five of six months snowbirding is just about right. Hmmmmmm?

Oh my, the boss just came over to talk to me. The tanker of gas is coming this evening and they are o_ening on Friday. After a few beers he was really talkative telling me about himself - a country boy from the big island here to oversee this job. His nickname is Chino because his friends thought he looked Chinese. When he told me I thought he was saying Gino and ke_t telling him that was Italian until he told me the China as_ect. Anyway he is a really friendly fellow and it is true a second gas station with two _um_s on Culebra (if both _um_s work).

No comments:

Post a Comment