Sunday, January 1, 2012

The Crowd







The people started coming down around 7pm. With only a few people the ferry was clearly visible. There were many tables and chairs set up, but some of them had been brought down earlier by families and were reserved with the family name written on a paper taped to the table top. When they started arriving it was a sight to see. They brought in coolers, small to super large. Some were carried and others were on wheels, just like luggage. They brought all manner of drink and displayed it openly along with so much food. Many tables had a whole buffet set up. There were babies, children, teens, adults, grandparents, and great grandparents. A live band was booming out the tunes. The shops selling food and drink were all open, but they didn't mind almost everyone bringing their own as their were enough tourists to keep them more than busy. The line up for drinks where Tommy works was never less than twenty. As the evening wore on more and more and more people came. It was truly a family affair. The people at my table were from Puerto Rico and included four generations. They told me they come every year and spend five days in Culebra because they love this party so much. There was a lot of drinking, dancing, and eating. Everyone was well behaved. It was such a pleasure to see roughly five thousand people gather like this and there be no problems.

I simply cannot describe it all. Words fail me and so do the photos. I took about seventy and most are useless. I will post a few and a couple of poor videos which will have to suffice. Oops, I can't seem to post my videos without them going on YouTube which I don't want. I'll try again later.

No comments:

Post a Comment