Monday, January 23, 2012

Lobster - If you are sensitive, DO NOT view this



Yesterday Monique, Luisa, and I were getting ready to go to the "big" grocery store with Annie in her car. As I was going towards the car I heard Annie yelling at me - lobster, lobster. She said to go to the boat beside the black car and call out for _edro. I did. Annie went to tell Monique. I had asked Annie a few weeks ago when I could buy fresh lobster and she said that one day I will.

A--arently about every two weeks -edro goes out to bring in his lobsters and yesterday was the day. Both Annie and Tommy are used to the different sounds of each fisherman's boat motors and this day they heard the lobster boat!!!

Unfortunately, because I was only going to the store I didn't have my camera with me. I told them to shoot me dead if I ever go out without my camera again. They all laughed, but agreed.

What a great sight it was. Two tourist families drove u_ and were there to buy lobster, as well. Also, many are sent to St. Thomas and others are sold to the few local dining establishments (frozen, thawed, reheated and sold 'as fresh caught'). I was a little concerned that there wouldn't be any for us, as I just could not jum_ down to the first boat and then ho_ to the next one. Thankfully Monique arrived in time and without hesitation did the jum_s. Annie arrived shortly thereafter to oversee the transaction.

Monique and I each bought two lobsters for the four of us (good _rice $7.00 lb.) The catch was _ut in _lastic bags the same as we get at any grocery store. I have no idea where Tommy ke_t them at home.

Tommy and Annie cooked and had the veggies and salad. Tommy usually does all the cooking, but last night it was Annie who did the lobsters. (I asked Tommy a few weeks ago if he had any single brothers - no, oh so sad.)

I did take several _hotos, but will only show these two. You know it is too cruel to show those guys in the sink alive and kicking and the next minute being lowered into the boiling water. I didn't look at this much because it is distressing.

I have had many east coast lobsters while visiting and also Australian lobster while wintering in Fiji in 1980 (which are truly delectable and sweet), but these s_iny Caribbean lobsters just an hour out of the sea, were delicious. I am sure that a good reason was the family cooking and hos_itable com_any.


No comments:

Post a Comment