Thursday, January 5, 2012

Bites

So far I have shown photos of and told you of all the good things. Everyone knows that not everything is good. Well, here on Culebra there are insects with voracious appetites and it appears that I am one of their favourite meals. I have bites of every kind all over my legs and arms. I bought a can of Raid at Milka's and although I would never use a Deet containing repellent at home, I brought a can of Deep Woods Off with me. I think the pesky little guys here think they areboth desserts. Next, I slathered Tea Tree Oil on and I think they really enjoyed it, too. OK, it was time to google and I found that baby oil was good because they couldn't get through the oil enough to bite. Wrong!!!! All I did was block the skin around my ankles from being able to sweat and consequently got a heat rash. Next item of warfare was vinegar. OK, a neighbour picked up some Apple Cider Vinegar for me at Milka's, but when I read the label it said Apple Cider Flavor. I didn't care. It was vinegar so for the last few days I have tried getting rid of the baby oil film and rubbing my legs with fake apple cider vinegar and also anywhere else there are bites (and I mean plural). The fake vinegar made short shrift of the rash and it tames the itch, but the insects still find me a tasty delight. I know, I know, Avon's Skin So Soft, but I forgot it at home and can't get it here.

Let me tell you they don't bother the people who live here. I guess like all of us they like to have an exotic meal when available. Or, could it be what we eat and drink? I have taken extra garlic capsules to no avail. So, by the process of deduction I have come to the conclusion that these Caribbean pests love rum. Yes, rum. Tommy drinks beer and is unaffected. Annie drinks white wine and is unaffected. But, yours truly who like rum is just too much to resist for these no see ums and mozzies.

On my to do list now is to decide what manner of libation I will test.

If anyone out there has any of granny's old recipes, please do speak up.

Oh, and I forgot to say that scratching my arm while sleeping has left me with forearms covered in blood spots!!!!!!!!!








No comments:

Post a Comment