Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Wednesday night

I can hardly believe my last _ost was on Sunday and now it is Wednesday night. Have I been out and about having so much fun that I didn't have time to write? Did a tall, dark, handsome stranger wander into my room and swee_ me off my feet? No!!!!!! Monday and Tuesday the internet service was down about 90% of the time (island wide) and today the hydro has been down since about noon. The hydro was a big issue because it was not only Culebra, but sister island Vieques and the big island (_uerto Rico).

I am, once again, truly grateful for the services we receive at home. Oh sure, sometimes we have a _ower outage and sometimes our internet service _rovider runs into difficulties, but these are usually short lived annoyances. Also, we don't need to rely on a ferry that goes sometimes and doesn't others or a $120.00 half hour air ride to get to a real su_ermarket or _harmacy or hardware store or furniture store or clothing store or... With the ferry you could go over to the big island in the early morning _lanning to return in the late afternoon or evening, but if they don't make that run you are stranded until the next day.

Am I ha__y I am here? You bet I am, but it is difficult to see the difficulties that the residents have to contend with on a continual basis.

I have my own theory as to why the internet was down for so very long, but I had better not write it or the government men might come a knocking at my door later tonight and I may never be seen again. Yeah, it is a cons_iracy theory.


This is from the FB _age of Culebra Online.

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Two Islands One Voice! Vieques y Culbra



Due to the crisis situation with the ferries an intervention was planned to gain the Governor's attention.

In the evening of Jan 29th the first shipment of Culebra residence headed out to start the vigil in San Juan. Protesters spent the night in Luis Muñoz Rivera Park, chanting and drumming throughout the entire night.








On the morning of the 30th, four buses were waiting at the port in Fajardo to take the residence of both Culebra and Vieques to San Juan for the demonstration.

The troops assembled at Luis Munoz Park.

At first the banners were bunched in amongst the people so tight that you couldn't read them.





My husband designated himself parade patrol and spaced the banners like you would in the Rose Parade! Good call Kenny







When we reached the intersection of Ave. Muñoz Rivera PR 1 and Ave Fernandez Juncos PR 25, the two main arteries and and out of Old San Juan, The march entered the main hwy and stopped to rest. stopping the flow of traffic in and out of the city for over 25 min as we blocked all lanes of the Hwy. Traffic was reported as far back as the International Airport!








Blocking all lanes of traffic into the city the demonstration continued all the way to the Capital Building. Sadly my Camera battery did not so there are no photo's in my blog to show you this part of the event.






1 comment:

  1. Very interesting Gail. I always look forward to living your experiences through you. What a gift you have of explaing and your Blog is so very interesting. . .mixed with your fabulous sense of humor of course. How lucky am I to be your friend!!!

    ReplyDelete